Wednesday, January 15, 2014

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints young men are under a priesthood obligation to serve for two years as a missionary. Although young women don't share that responsibility, they are still given the option to serve, not two years, but 18 months. 

I never planned on going on a mission. All growing up I watched as young men and women around me prepared for missions, received their calls and left. A year or two later they would come back with all these amazing stories of people they met and places they had seen. Through all of this I thought: 'Wow, their mission did a lot of good for them.' Or even, 'Hmm, that sounds like a fun adventure.' I can't think of a single time when I actually thought that I, myself would go on a mission. 

Several years later found me going to my first year of college where I met some of the best friends I have ever had. Two of them in particular had their sights set on a mission. Their faith and confidence and eagerness to serve sparked something in me. I had never been opposed to the idea of serving a mission, I had just never thought that I would. Before I knew it, things had fallen into place and first chance I got, I submitted my application to serve. Three weeks later that big white envelope came in the mail addressed to Sister Durfey. The way the application works is when we submit our papers we are saying, in a sense, that we will go wherever the Lord will send us. That could be anywhere in the world! From Slovakia to Washington DC, Mandarin Chinese speaking.

The feeling that came as I read my call letter was one I will never forget. I was really hoping for a call to some foreign country maybe Spain (where my Dad served) or maybe South Africa so I could be one of those people with the cool stories. Going into this I was both excited yet terrified. With all of these emotions in play (as well as so many more I can't put into words) I read my call out loud. 


Sister Durfey. . . you are called to serve in the Oregon Eugene mission.

I expected to be disappointed. I was thinking more along the lines of a 20 hour flight not two hours! Oregon was the last place I expected to go. Despite all this I felt the most overwhelming feeling of peace that I have ever felt before. I know without a doubt that this is the mission for me. 

I know this church is true and that President Thomas S. Monson is called of God to lead the church of Jesus Christ here in the latter days. I am currently serving in the best mission in the church because it is my mission. I have confidence the message we take to the world and I know I am where I need to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment